Тема: Orobanche caryophyllacea

This plant is Orobanche caryophyllacea.

Re: Orobanche caryophyllacea

Dear Holger, this plant doesn’t look like the plant identified by you as Orobanche caryophyllacea
http://www.plantarium.ru/dat/plants/2/261/114261.jpg
In addition, I have some doubts that this plant parasitizes Caryophyllaceae.

Yes, I also have my doubts whether this plant really belongs to O. caryophyllacea. Namely, red-coloured glandular hairs can be seen on one of the pictures from the series:

Their presence indicate that the plant rather belongs to O. alba than to O. caryophyllacea.

Отредактировано Андрей Ковальчук (2012-06-05 21:55:46)

Dear Andrey,
in Middle Europe is O. caryophyllacea a common plant and - with more than 30 infraspecific taxa - very variable. I have seen many specimen of Orobanche caryophyllacea with bright white, yellowish or darker purple corollas and I'm absolutely convinced that it's O. caryophyllacea. I think, that the hairs or glands seems to be dark on the shining througt corolla.

I forgot: The calyx halves of O. caryophyllaceae often very different 2-toothed and the front-tooth of the calyx segment ist smaller and hide under the bract. When the calyx segment seems to be entire, but not in true.

I tried to identify this plant using the key published in our Ukrainian “Определитель высших растений Украины». As a result, I have got Orobanche caesia (lanuginosa) but not O. alba or O. caryophyllaceae. Thus, the place of this plant we have to look in Phelipanche.

The plant has definitely nothing to do with members of the genus Phelipanche. Members of this genus have very distinctive corolla shape, and quite often the whole plant is bluish. Vasyly Petrovych, do you have any idea about the probable host plant (at least, would it belong to Rubiaceae, Lamiaceae or Asteraceae)?

It seems me that the host is Galium verum (the second plant photografed with a grasshopper). Around the first plant I remember Poaceae only.

If the host plant is indeed Galium verum, it means that Holger is right and it's O. caryophyllacea. Despite its name, this species usually grows on Galium, not on the species of Caryophyllaceae.

Ещё раз прошёлся по ключу. Да, в принципе, выхожу на Orobanche caryophyllacea. Но поверить в то, что снятое мной растение и помещённое на сайте как Orobanche caryophyllacea это одно и то же - сил не хватает. Уж визуально они очень разные.

Dear friends,
here is a picture of a similar plant (certainly O. caryophyllacea) from Germany (Nördlinger Ries, mt. Goldberg) http://orowiki.org/wiki/Orobanche_caryophyllacea

Yes, very similar.

Please move this plant to Orobanche caryophyllaceae identified by Холгер Улих.